Friday, September 30, 2011

Palmyra

Going to Palmyra was on our bucket list before we moved from Vermont, we picked a weekend after one of Bryan's rotations and had some friends of our come with us.  We split this super cute house and it was fantastic!
I had been here before, when I was 17, on a church history trip.  It was a really amazing experience for me and I was so excited to share it with my family.  Especially Bryan, because he loves stuff like this!
This is in front of the Smith's Log Cabin home that they lived in when Joseph was young and where they lived when he had the First Vision.

Cute Ethan in front of the log cabin home

This is the upstairs of the log cabin home.  These are the beds the boys slept in and the room where Moroni appeared to Joseph several times.

These are our cute friends, the Morey's that came with us. We love them!

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."

A view of the Palmyra temple from the log cabin home.

Now this was in their "upgraded" home.  They had the neatest story about how two little girls were sleeping in this bed when a mob came in to try and steal the plates, Joseph hid the plates between the girls and when the mob came in Joseph's mom told them they could look anywhere but to please not wake up the children. The mob left the girls alone and the plates were fine.  It was incredible to think that the plates were right here in this room and we were there!

The kitchen

The fireplace.  They hid the plates several times in these bricks, they are the original bricks.


Outside the Sacred Grove.

The Book of Mormon printing press.  That is an original ink stain, I don't know these little "original" things are so impressive to me, I think it is because it is the link to Joseph himself that is tangible.  It is so neat!



Book of Mormon printing press.


An original book of mormon

Their languages

Rolling down the Hill Cumorah.

I absolutely LOVE this picture.  They played this audio of different scriptures about Christ and Nate just stopped what he was doing and stared at Him, it was amazing!

I love these sweet boys

Outside the Palmyra temple

"If I had to choose again, I'd choose you"

Peter Whitmer's home, where the church was organized.

First meeting if the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was here.


Our friend took this picture, I love it.

This pretty much sums up Ethan...his face is the best. With a giant stick.

We had such a wonderful weekend!  It was so great to put all these stories to our own memories.

1 comment:

Shelise said...

Oh my gosh, I love that picture of Ethan with the stick. Thats basically Hudson's life. Sticks. Guns. Running around acting like a crazy man. Boys are crazy little men. lol The picture of the baby kissing you is really cute too.